Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Grand Finale

What happens when you mix theatre and fashion? You get the birth child of designer Clive Rundle. To say that the whole of Johannesburg was there to watch his show is an understatement. No more like as many people as possible living in Gauteng. Hey, I mean even William Kentridge was seated across from me (I kinda made a fool of myself trying to awkwardly introduce myself and compliment his work)
But anyways...Moving on.
I walked into a room that had the voice over of a woman discussing different bird calls and the description of the bird. Clive's 'braille' collection looked at how fabric can tell the story of fashion. How when we obscure our vision, and really feel with our hands - the fashion only exists when we can touch it and prove that it is there. Tactile textures was the theme for this range. And it then makes sense why the models had white fringing hanging in front of their eyes - walking in like soldiers, blind to fashion but warriors of texture.
To top it, Clive had Zolani Mahola and Kyla Rose Smith from SA band Freshlyground make the music for the show. When I mean 'make' I mean, Kyla played the violin whilst Zolani sang.
Lyrics like 'I need to see you' - everything was built around Clive's view that
"There is no ABC in the designer's sensual and fluid (re)interpretation of Braille as a patter mend-tactile communicative medium"
Breathtaking
New
Daring
Art

Below from left to right:
The white fringing
The work of Edward Scissorhands
Turquoise is the colour of the year


See you next season
Paris B

No comments:

Post a Comment